Friday, December 6, 2013

Once Upon A Time In Wonderland 1.07 Review: Neglectful Fathers


For any of those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of Once Upon A Time In Wonderland, titled ‘Bad Blood’, this is where I tell you to stop, turn around, go watch the episode, and then come back here. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed ahead at your own discretion.
So, I’m surprised at myself that I’m still watching this series, but here I am, reviewing another episode. Basically we got more backstory relating to Jafar’s father issues, and finally were concretely told that the other man in the cage is in fact the Sultan, Jafar’s father – but then who honestly didn’t guess that? That’s what I was a little shocked at for this episode, the “big reveal” music they gave when we definitively learned he was the Sultan. Honestly, who else could the man have been? But then we also learned he tried to kill his son, and thus the reason for Jafar’s daddy issues. See, women aren’t the only ones that have them! Basically, Jafar’s daddy issues made him this evil villain, where all he wants is for the Sultan to call him his son. I mean, the guy does have a right to it; the man did try and kill him. Still, the guy’s hardcore evil, so I don’t really think there’s any redeeming him.
Elsewhere, Alice believes her father has come to Wonderland – and he really has, she’s just not talking to the real one. We’re able to see some parallels between Jafar and Alice, and that almost made it look like they were leading Jafar to not try to put Alice’s life in peril constantly, but then nada. But so help me God if they try and redeem him like they did the Evil Queen on Once Upon A Time. Anyways, Alice is still making her travels to find Cyrus, and next week they’ll apparently find each other. I’m sorry, but I’m still convinced she has more chemistry with Will, and that Cyrus is more or less a big, dull, dud. He’s so… boring. But this is a fairytale series, so there’s little hope that this “true love” couple will ever be with anyone else. A girl can dream though.
All in all, this is a mostly terribly acted series that a person has to shut their brain off to enjoy. This is not a series where you can shut your brain off, you actually have to shut your intelligence off to enjoy this show. And that’s a difficult feat for some, so I don’t expect this series to go passed this one season. Especially once Cyrus and Alice are reunited. I mean, honestly, what other possibly good storytelling could they have? Also, was that Aram playing the young Sultan (for all those The Blacklist lovers out there)?
My rating: 6 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“If you’re just going to show me off, was the bag really necessary?” – the White Rabbit questions Jafar.
“Actually, isn’t vanishing one of the things genies can do?” – One of the Tweedle’s asks the Red Queen.
“Let’s see. Dice, a dollar bill, keys to Grannies – she’s gonna be right pissed about that.” – the Knave mutters, taking inventory of his possessions, with a nice little nod to the series mothership.






Okay, I’m off to review Grey’s Anatomy now. After, I have to watch and review The Crazy Ones, online for once because my stupid DVR didn’t record the show because it was on another damn channel. Anyways, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment