Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Originals 1.10 Review: Who Has the Power


This is a friendly reminder for all those that have yet to watch last night’s episode of The Originals, titled ‘The Casket Girls’, this is where I suggest you do that before venturing ahead. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own discretion.
Well, I have to say I’m becoming thoroughly disappointed in this series. I really thought I’d give it a chance, and it wasn’t bad for the first – say – five episodes, but now it’s really hitting a slump. Honestly, I’m really feeling like by splitting The Vampire Diaries into two series it hasn’t added anything to it, it’s merely carved out something integral to the original series.
There are a couple good things to this series, but they both have downsides to them. The first is that Leah Pipes is a phenomenal actress, her character is extremely well acted, but the problem is Cami is a TERRIBLE character. The girl adds next to nothing to the overall story, other than to give one more antagonist for Klaus to defeat. I mean, does she not think Klaus will kill her to keep her from spilling the vampire beans? I know she’s basically a placeholder for Caroline, but she isn’t Caroline, so I doubt he’ll have any qualms with killing her. At least the original Klaus wouldn’t.
The other good part this series has to it is the raw intensity it brings. There’s a definite overall draw to watch because there’s just so much power behind any individual scene, but then it goes and has the scene terribly written. Honestly, it makes no sense {insert me squeezing my head in frustration here}. Maybe I’m spending too much time on tumblr and am beginning to see just how much of a story-sucking vampire Julie Plec is, but this series is becoming terrible. About the only reason I’m sticking around is because I love Klaus, but even he is managing not to have enough of the story focused on him. I barely see Joseph Morgan on screen nowadays, and it was pitched as more of his show. That’d be like not seeing David Boreanaz on Angel, or Buffy on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There are other characters, but they are just convoluting the entire story and it’s making me angry.
All in all, this show just grows to frustrate me. I did like Rebekah this week, but all the other characters were moronic and head scratching. I don’t understand why they thought this could manage to be a good series. They should’ve just left the Originals on The Vampire Diaries, because they’ve merely taken that goodness away. This show hasn’t added ANYTHING other than make me strongly want to go to New Orleans. And I thought at least by getting to see more Elijah it would be a good thing.
My rating: 6.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“Yeah. Or I got mystically cold-cocked by four witches.” – Cami provides an alternative explanation.
“Well isn’t this monumentally awkward?” – Elijah states.




I’m off to review Supernatural, then I think I’m going to go back to watching Gilmore Girls for an episode or two. Check back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment