Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Teen Wolf 3.13 Review: The Darkness We Let Inside


As a friendly reminder to all those that have yet to watch last night’s midseason premiere of Teen Wolf, entitled ‘Anchors’, this is the point where I suggest you look elsewhere until you have. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed ahead at your own discretion.
For the most part, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this MTV series’ newest episode. Sure, I was a little confused as to how it began, and couldn’t quite recall enough details from the first half of the season, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t able to enjoy it.
Okay, so I do have to mention how I was a little bored with the opening five minutes, up until around Stiles’ last dream that he thinks is real.. Yes, I was able to appreciate it more afterwards, within the context of the entire episode, but it didn’t grab me as much as the beginning of an episode should have. If I wasn’t invested in this series and these characters – particularly Stiles – I might have stopped watching and gone back to viewing Gilmore Girls. Alas, I have been watching this series from the very beginning, so I will keep on watching. I found myself almost bored with the tedious opening act of Stiles’ dream. It was well acted, but it was a little too much of a run around. Plus, it didn’t feel like I was invested with most of the dream because I could barely remember where this series had left off.
Elsewhere, I did enjoy the interactions between Scott and Isaac, and Scott’s mom telling them not to damage the house. It was really fun getting to see Isaac thrown into the wall – twice – because Scott was just a little mad at his fellow werewolf and housemate for poaching on his ex-girlfriend (Alison, for all those that have yet to watch this series). Sure, I do think Scott and Alison are done – for now at least – but there’s a rule among bro’s, that you don’t act unless the other is honestly okay with it.
That leads me to another thing, where we see Scott is becoming interested in the new girl in his history class. Yes, I think Alison and him are done, like I said for now, but there relationship seemed such an integral part of the show for the first two and half seasons, despite not always being together, that this seems a little dishonest to the character. Not only that, but it was done in a way that mirrored his crush on Alison in the beginning of the series, and that just doesn’t sit right with me. If they wanted Scott to move on and find love elsewhere, the least they could do was make it a bit more unique and not just like he was replacing Alison or holding her spot for her with a temporary fix. Plus, I really feel like there were major vibes between him and Lydia in the first half of this season. Sure, Stiles has had a thing for Lydia for a while, but there was some major connection between Scott and her, and it feels like that’s now just been glossed over since Derek’s sister, and what seemed to be the fancy of Stiles this past summer, was not apart of the series this week. So I’m kind of feeling like this is becoming a bit convoluted.
Oh, and a couple other things that I need to mention. Tyler Posey’s performance when he began freaking out when confronting his father over trying to oust Stiles’ father from being sheriff was both powerfully and wonderfully done. This may have been my favourite moment in this episode, and when he tells his mom his anchor was Alison and he doesn’t have her anymore – that was perfect. Also, I have to make note of how beautifully man-shaped Dylan O’Brien has gotten these past few years. Honestly, that young man is beautifully and just makes me love Stiles – and not just because his sense of humour and fascination with all things supernatural is akin to my own. Finally, I have to mention how perfect the final scene of this episode was. As a screenwriter myself, I thought that fit wonderfully into the whole picture of this show, and made sure to include Derek and his uncle in an otherwise good episode. There are moments where I watch movies and television episodes and remember why I want to work as a screenwriter in this industry, and that was one of them.
Overall, I thought this episode was very well done. Sure, the vet’s acting is a little uneven and plain at times, but the other actors are most assuredly growing into there own – most notably Tyler Posey and Dylan O’Brien. Sometimes I’m surprised that this is a MTV series because it’s quite often better than that industry name.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“I think you should hit me.” – Isaac tells Scott.
“Wait a sec, I know that look. That’s the we-know-exactly-what-is-wrong-with-you-and-we-have-no-idea-how-to-fix-it look.” – Stiles remarks.
“Glow your eyes at it, do something, be the Alpha.” – Stiles tells Scott.
“I think I just had a minor heart attack.” – Stiles declares.
 “My anchor was Alison. I don’t have Alison anymore.” – Scott says. “Then be your own anchor.” – Scott’s mom tells him.








All right folks, check back later for a review of Almost Human, although it may just be a brief one later on tonight. Also, I may get to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Trophy Wife, and Cougar Town tonight as well, I may not.

No comments:

Post a Comment