Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bones 9.12 Review: Not Being Able to Let Go


This is my friendly reminder for all those that have yet to watch Friday night’s episode of Bones, entitled ‘The Ghost in the Killer’, then now would be your last chance to do so before proceeding ahead into spoiler waters. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
Well, that was a thoroughly enjoyable episode. I always enjoy the episodes of Bones that include a lot of genuine feeling emotions and drama to it; it does have its fair share of quality comedy to it, but I prefer the drama. The way Brennan was so focused on finding the female serial killer that it was causing drama between her and the ones she loves was masterfully done. I especially enjoyed her arguments with Booth, and how, by the end, he’d made his decision to believe in his wife.
The part I think I liked most about this episode was how well crafter the characters were this week, and the way they interacted with each other. It was so on key to have Cam not want to know what personal issues Clark was having, and how flabbergasted he was by it. Just the way he was rocked by the end of such a long relationship in his life was also phenomenally well done. And how Hodgins showed what growing up wealthy had facilitated his childhood, and still how he was able to interact with the other family. And, like I said, how much I enjoyed Brennan’s genuine interactions with Booth in the beginning, that also nicely bookended the episode. Plus, getting to see Hodgins and Sweets being somewhat buddy-buddy, while not as good as the Hodgins and Zach friendship, was nicely done. Also, that nice little moment between Brennan and Clark, where she asks him to call her by her first name was beautiful.
My one issue with this episode would definitely have to do with how Hodgins was still able to work on a case that he had affiliation with the possible suicide victim. Didn’t we go through this a few seasons back, where his evidence was found in contempt because he hid his relations with the victim’s family? Why would this be any different then that? It seems a bit like there would be a lack of continuity with the last episode where Hodgins knew the victim.
Anyways, for the most part this was an incredibly well done episode, particularly for one that has come after season six – which I believe was the last great season. I especially liked the quality of that nightmare it opened up with. Also, I’m glad that, despite Booth and Brennan being married, they are able to keep juicy, interesting episodes going forward. I just hope the next episode is at least nearly as good, given that it won’t have to do with the Ghost Killer.
My rating: 7.5 out of 10.

Best Lines:
“As long as a person has enough, they don’t need more; and I’ve got more than enough.” – Hodgins shares his wisdom with Sweets.
“I thought I was explaining?” – Clark questions. “You are, very slowly.” – Brennan remarks.





Okay, so I’m going to go review last week’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. now, and then probably Trophy Wife from last week, and then this week. See, I may be able to catch up after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment