Thursday, January 16, 2014

American Horror Story: Coven 3.10 Review: Witches of all Colours


As a friendly reminder to all those that have yet to watch last week’s episode of American Horror Story: Coven, titled ‘The Magical Delights of Stevie Nicks’, this is where I suggest you turn away from the screen and go watch the episode before proceeding ahead. For this is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! You’ve been warned.
This is going to be short and sweet, being that I don’t have much to say regarding this episode. I will say that it was rather drab for a series that has a limited number of episodes to tell the stories it wants. Sure, Nan was killed, we learned Fiona doesn’t have a soul (uh, what?), and Madison got Misty trapped in a crypt (when why would she, being that if she’s the next Supreme, killing her won’t disprove that – these characters have no logic), but it still wasn’t very interesting.
The entirety of this episode felt very much like a nod to Stevie Nicks, being that she guest stars as slightly altered version of herself. I completely did not understand at all why they used her name in the episode title when she’s barely utilized for more than a couple talking’s to Misty and Fiona, as well as a few tunes. This season isn’t making a lot of sense to me at all. Also, the way Fiona acted around Stevie Nicks made no sense to the character that she was.
Overall, for the most part this series is well-written – basic logic aside – but it’s just not being written interestingly. There isn’t a whole lot to this year, and I’m disappointed because witches were my first supernatural love (before growing to become werewolves). The only highlight to this season is Sarah Paulson, whom I love much more this year, as this character. That breakdown she had this episode was phenomenal, and the only thing I greatly enjoyed. I just, I’m not sure how I feel about getting excited for a fourth season of this series when I haven’t loved it since season one.
My rating: 6 out of 10.

No memorable dialogue.





I’m off to watch Nashville now, check back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment