Wednesday, September 11, 2013

It's called The Blacklist - That Sounds Exciting


The drama series I’m most looking forward to this Fall would have to be The Blacklist. Strictly from watching the four-minute promo, I already love James Spader’s character Raymond ‘Red’ Reddington. From his snarky tone in the way he addresses the lawmen that have been after him the last twenty years, to his overall confidence in the fact that he gives himself over to the FBI and still expects things to be okay for him.

I’m also very much looking forward to following Megan Boone’s character Elizabeth Keen through this series. I mean, anyone who is willing to jeopardize their job by attacking the man that knows something about their husband, is someone I am very much willing to follow along with.

Overall, I think this show will be the breakout drama series this year. I know everyone is expecting that to be Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. – and don’t get me wrong, I am looking forward to that series – but the obvious intensity that wafts off the screen in waves just instantly clicks with me, and hopefully with the rest of the audience.

Now that’s not to say there could be hitches along the way. This series definitely appears to be striving for a sense of perfection. Some A-list TV actors (James Spader, and I’m looking at you Harry Lennix), an intense mission statement (the whole blacklist situation), and a realistic yet interesting script (“It’s called the Blacklist. That sounds exciting.”). The devil’s advocate is that with perfection comes the extreme ability to fall. But if the series uses the promo as the example it means to set for our viewing standards, it is sure to impress and garner it’s own niche of TV followers.

To cap things off, I’ll leave you with my own pre-watch judgments on where I think the series will go. What I strongly predict from the promo alone is that Raymond is Elizabeth’s father, and he has possibly been following her along and pushing her in the direction of the FBI in anticipation of him cultivating the Blacklist. One other thing I also predict, although not quite as strongly, from merely the last thirty seconds or so of the promo is that Raymond is deep undercover, and has been the last twenty years, so that he could cultivate this list of his. If this happens to be the case, I think the only person that knows he’s undercover other than himself, would possibly be the POTUS.

Alright that’s all for now. Tune into The Blacklist on NBC September 23rd at 10 p.m. to check out if any of my predictions come to pass, and then check back here around 2 am EST (11 pm PST) for my review of the full-length pilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment