Sunday, September 22, 2013

Haven 4.02 Review: How to Deal with Survivors Guilt


If you’ve been following along with my blogs, you should have this routine down by now. If you’re a first timer, let me serve you up a warning. For all you that have yet to watch Friday nights episode of Haven, the second episode of season four titled ‘Survivors’, and wish to watch it spoiler free, please exit the premises at this time. As always, this is not a spoiler free blog. To reiterate, THIS BLOG MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!
Now that that is out of the way, we’ll jump right into the review, seeing as I reviewed last weeks episode as well there really is no need for a recap of it.
Survivors opens up like any typical Haven episode, an almost procedural cliché with a twist of paranormal. We don’t immediately see the crime go down, but we do have the beautiful image of a victim almost first thing. This episode is all about this guy who has a Trouble that makes his guilt basically come to life and reenact what he feels so bad about every time he’s congratulated. Not unoriginal, but not terribly refreshing. There’s nothing much about the scenes that take place in the town of Haven that really jump out at me and grab my interest. It’s not an overly bad episode, it just isn’t great.
Nathan is usual gruff self, with an undercurrent of grief for not having Audrey with him. I definitely that progression with him, but there doesn’t seem to be much inflection when it comes to the way he speaks. Dwight’s as two-dimensional as always, a much better character way off in the distance that comes out in brief moments. I love Vince and Dave, but I miss their bumbling, bickering selves. There really wasn’t much of Dave in this one, and what we got to see of Vince wasn’t that flavourful. I do love Duke, and all his snarky glory, but all his interactions with this newly introduced brother character just don’t seem fully developed. I really don’t want this guy in this show. Not only does he not look like his brother, but he doesn’t even seem like they’ve known each other longer than a few months at most. We don’t need another male character in Haven. And then we get around to Jennifer. It almost seemed like they were trying to progress her character and integrate her into the background rather quickly. This depth they’re trying to create with her hasn’t been earned yet, so I don’t see why it has to happen so rapidly.
 Some of my favourite points in this episode were probably the ones surrounding Audrey/Lexie and William. Maybe it was because all the scenes that took place in Haven seemed to be coloured with a blue light, and the overall glow in the bar was warmer than that, or just that Audrey’s my favourite character. I really felt more with the characters in that bar. It could also be because there’s a mystery when it comes to this place, in this bar. Who is William? Why is he trying to get Audrey to remember who she is? Who are those men that were trying to stop him? Why is it so important to them to stop him from getting her to remember? There are so many questions surrounding this place that just makes it so much more to me as avid audience member. It could also be that I don’t hate this new male cast member. I mean, Christian Camargo was good in Dexter, but in Haven he looks sallow and misplaced.
Being that this is only a eleven, twelve episode a season show, I really these separate storylines don’t completely drag on, but I do think Audrey being away from Nathan can go on for at least another episode or two. Even when they do meet up, there’s still that whole problem of her believing her name is Lexie, and she’d have to remember Nathan, which I hope she eventually does do. But that progression needs to be able to find a healthy balance.
A couple of overall issues with this episode that I haven’t already addressed. One is rather small, but it was the timing of Jennifer’s yawn and then apologizing to Duke. Did anyone else even notice the yawning before she apologized? He hadn’t even given her a look, or mentioned it before she jumped into apologies. Then there’s the issue, along the lines of progressing Jennifer’s character too quickly, like they were already fitting her with Duke. I think I mentioned not wanting that in last week’s review, but thinking they were likely going there. It’s almost like that relationship is already melding together, all in one episode. They keep Audrey in this love triangle for three seasons, but almost immediately after, they’re throwing Duke into this new thing, when I kind of saw her as a sisterly character last week. I honestly can’t be the only one… Anyways.
My rating: 3 out of 5.

Best Lines:
“It’s like you actually enjoy upsetting me.” – Duke.
“Everybody needs a hobby.” – Vince, in an almost comedically hostile way.

“If it makes you feel any better, I never thought you had any authority.” – Duke, to Nathan, after the Fire Chief says he no longer has authority there.

“I would’ve preferred it was still a whole gun.” – Lexie/Audrey, after William takes apart the gun he had in his jeans, to make her more comfortable.

All right, that’s all for now, kiddos. Check back in in a few hours for my review of Dexter’s series finale. I’m off to make myself some dinner, and savour the very last episode of Dexter ever, at the same time trying to remember it critically. Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment