Thursday, September 19, 2013

New Girl 3.01 Review: Kermit the Frog is Brown


For all those that have yet to watch the season three premiere of New Girl entitled ‘All In’, or any of the passed two seasons for that matter, and wish to watch it spoiler free, now would be the time to step away from this blog. As always, spoilers come along with the package of this review. THERE WILL BE SPOILERS!
Alright, now to recap where the series left off at the end of last season, once again briefly as I haven’t watched the episode since it aired. Nick and Jess decided they weren’t going to work and it’d be better to call it quits now before they got hurt, but after some advice, they decided to give a relationship a try. Cece was supposed to get married, after learning she didn’t have long to have children, but ended up calling it off because she didn’t love Shivran. Schmidt did his best to get Cece’s wedding cancelled, seeing that she was unhappy, and in the end his girlfriend and Cece told him he had to choose, and he ran away. Winston was basically just there.
Now, for the good part, the review. I’m going to call this a ‘be careful what you wish for’ moment, because I was all gung ho for Jess and Nick to get together, but I’m already tired of their scenes together. The first few minutes where it’s just them made me remember why I’ve called it quits on this series once already, and why I wanted to again. I can’t honestly be the only one that didn’t care for their scenes. They were honestly the weakest point in this episode. And that whole Mexico scenario was just a terrible opener. I mean, really, was that completely necessary? What sense did that make?
Getting passed my irritation with their scenes, I wasn’t all that mesmerized by Schmidt’s scenes with his two love interests. It’s obvious that he loves Cece, but for some reason he’s got to make trouble for himself by leading her and Elizabeth on? Obviously that’s not going to end well. This is becoming too predictable already. I can picture it now: both relationships are going to end up ending, Elizabeth will go on her merry way because she’s not a series regular, and Cece will be angry with Schmidt and not be able to stand him, until eventually the two realize their love for each other and get back together. Have we not already done this?
I have to say, the honest highlight of the entire episode, and possibly the only reason other than the fact Coach will be coming back soon to keep me watching this already tired series, was Winston. Lamorne Morris just plays him hilariously. The randomness of the puzzle situation was the best part of the episode, and learning that he’s actually colour blind was just great. The way he played his confusion to figuring out what colour he thinks he is was hilarious. If he’s not nominated for at least a supporting actor Emmy next year, I really will be done thinking the Emmy’s are at all fair at judging the submissions they get.
My rating: 3 out of 5.

Best Lines:
“I’ve been doing a lot of thinking. Now, I know everyone’s going through a lot, but I think it is time for me to start a puzzle.” – Winston, demonstrating his spectacular randomness.
“Don’t talk to me that much, never lie to me, and never ever touch my puzzle.” – Winston, letting Schmidt know his guidelines to becoming his best friend over Nick.
“I needed your underwear to sew into my underwear.” – Winston, covering for Schmidt after he thought he’d broken up with Cece, in a hilarious exchange.
“Is that an almond inserted into one of those pieces? You know that’s an almond, right?” – Schmidt, talking to Winston about his already four day puzzle.

So that’s all for tonight, check back tomorrow for my opinion of this weeks best male and female performances. Then check in Sunday for my review of the series finale of Dexter. I know, exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment