Wednesday, September 25, 2013

New Girl 3.02 Review: Cats and Broken Hearts


As usual I’d like to take this time to ask anyone that has yet to watch tonight’s episode of New Girl, titled ‘Jacooz’, that wishes to do so spoiler free, to please divert your eyes now. This is not a spoiler free blog. THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! Proceed at your own caution.
I’m going to keep this review short and sweet because I don’t think there’s all that much I have to say about this episode.
The first ten minutes of the episode were a tad tedious. I didn’t really care about Jess’s storyline, for the most part, or the whole Nick thing along those lines. Except for the scenes with the principal, it wasn’t all that great.
Schmidt’s dilemma in this episode about the office party was okay at some points, but not great. I did like his interactions with Eva Amurri’s character Beth, and he did have some interesting one-liners, and Schmidt characteristics that were funny, but not the funniest thing about this show.
The highlight of the episode, much like last weeks, was definitely Winston. I know some like to believe he has become a bit of the butt of the joke, but his storylines are the funniest. I loved all his interactions with the cat that couldn’t stop purring, and he is most definitely the reason I’m still interested in watching this show. I hope that he keeps on being the funniest character in this series.
To be honest, this series isn’t as well developed as it could be. Speaking as someone that loves the series Friends, that show was capable of being funny, but at the same time progressing the characters. I don’t find, for the most part, that this series is able to do that. Aside from certain characters dating each other, there hasn’t been all that much change from the first episode, except that all these people’s lives have integrated together. It’s almost like with the Simpsons, where none of the characters age.
My rating: 2.5 out of 5.

Best Lines:
“Why are you talking like a James Taylor song?” – Jess to Nick in the bathroom.
“I’ll kill her cat.” – Winston, thinking the best revenge for a broken heart, is to kill the woman’s cat.
“Uhh, don’t get attached.” – Winston telling Jess not to get too emotionally involved with the cat.

That’s all for now, I’m off to watch and then review Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Then it’s Trophy Wife, with a follow up of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment